On Being an Orthodontist
Having braces in high school changed my life, taking me from being a hidden extrovert to someone who is confident and outgoing. Straight teeth gave me the confidence to interact with people in a way I’d always wanted but never felt comfortable doing, because I was self-conscious about my teeth.
The transformation in my self-esteem, as the orthodontist crafted my new smile, had a profound and lasting impact in my life: I became an orthodontist to share that same experience with others — giving each patient the confidence to shine!
- Bachelor of Science in nutritional science – University of Arizona
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery, magna cum laude – University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio Dental School
- Certificate in orthodontics – University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics
- Board certification in orthodontics – American Board of Orthodontics
Dr. Gates has practiced orthodontics since completing his specialty residency in 1999. That challenging education and training provided him with a solid foundational understanding of the biomechanics of tooth movement, as well as the technical skills required to deliver quality care.
However, orthodontics — as with all areas of healthcare — is a constantly advancing field. Ongoing research yields new techniques and technologies, each of which has the potential to improve the patient experience and results. Through active pursuit of continuing professional education, Dr. Gates stays at the forefront of changes in the specialty.
- College of Diplomates, American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Association of Orthodontists Foundation
- Southwestern Society of Orthodontists
- Texas Association of Orthodontists
- University of Texas Orthodontic Alumni Association
- Austin Orthodontic Study Group
- The Orthodontic Foundation
- American Dental Association
- Texas Dental Association
- Capital Area Dental Society
- Austin Dental Society
Beyond the Practice
Having grown up in a Navy family, Dr. Gates moved a lot as a child, and graduated high school in Kodiak, Alaska. He and his wife Zee, an attorney, were married in 1988 and have lived in Round Rock since 2002. The couple has three children — Ava, Ella, and Zane — and their family is rounded out by Suki, the dog.
Fun facts about Dr. Gates:
- Dr. Gates graduated from Kodiak High School, in Kodiak, Alaska.
- Dr. Gates was his high-school mascot. Go Bears!
- Dr. Gates has been to 48 states.
- Dr. Gates is a certified scuba diving instructor!
- Dr. Gates was a white-water rafting guide!